Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition
Tell us something good!
- Ages: 4+
- Pages: 316
- Format: Paperback
- ISBN: 9780970132062
- Published: 2007
Ground zero for understanding and applying core components of the Social Thinking® Methodology. The foundational title explores the social learning process and how the social brain works. In a direct and easy-to-understand style, Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition weaves together research and cutting-edge clinical practice with innovative frameworks, loads of concrete treatment and learning strategies, case examples and scenarios, user-friendly tools, templates, diagrams, and a touch of humor for teaching the what, why, and how of specific social competencies to all ages of students and clients with social thinking needs.
For education professionals, service providers, and families—this resource illustrates how to create individualized assessments and begin to develop instructional programs. A practical foundation and roadmap for implementation, Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition
- Reviews current thinking on social cognition and key related theories.
- Defines perspective taking and its impact on understanding how the social world works.
- Offers strategies that break down complex verbal conversational language and social interactions.
- Details Social Behavioral Mapping™, a visual tool for teaching about the relationship between what people do and say, others’ perspectives, others’ actions, and their own feelings.
- Presents a qualitative tool, The Social Thinking Dynamic Assessment Protocol™, to explore social learning strengths and differences and or challenges that may affect how one works in a group, develops relationships, and interprets and responds to information embedded in academic tasks that require social understanding.
- Describes informal dynamic assessment tasks created to explore more about the process of understanding social information rather than the product (social skill).
- Discusses the challenges of using standardized testing to understand the social mind in context.
Understanding the perspectives of others is at the heart of all interpersonal relationships, including our ability to share space effectively and interpret and respond to the social world that surrounds us. Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd 2nd Edition is where to start to learn more about the amazing processes performed by the social mind. Many Neurodivergent students (ADHD, twice-exceptional, learning and learning disabilities or differences, and autism spectrum levels 1 and 2) as well as neurotypicals may struggle to understand social information from multiple perspectives. This book spells out a four-step framework of perspective taking that breaks down the complex theory of mind research into practical, applicable chunks for systematically explaining, showing, and teaching. Also featured in this handbook is a teaching framework called The Four Steps of Communication.™ This visual model helps to show all of us (children and adults) how communication progresses in a predictable, teachable pattern
For ages K-adulthood, Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME, 2nd Edition has become a foundational tool for how to implement aspects of the Social Thinking Methodology in practical and meaningful ways at home, school, and in the community. This book and its follow-up handbook, Think Social! A Social Thinking® Curriculum for School-Age Students, create a practical duo for helping students work towards their own personal goals.